Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Book Reviews

I have a really bad habit of starting long books, stopping half way through for a quick read, and sometimes finishing the epics. Right now I'm really bad cuz I'm in the middle of two long ones and just finished two quickies. It's a miracle I can keep all the details straight. (I spend alot of time re-reading!)
So, on that note, I'll give you my opinions on these two:
I really liked this one from the beginning. It's about a cooking class, but of course the students learn more about life than how to follow a recipe. I loved how the author used sensory imagery to bring food to life. I still think it lacked some 'essential ingredients'- maybe character development or a more complex plot/ relationships, but if you're looking for a "delicate, meltingly lovely hymn to food and friendship," this will do. I may or may not have put the book down to indulge in some chocolate and pick up some potted fresh basil.

I didn't put this one down once I picked it up. Not because it was such a thrilling page turner, but because I really wanted to make it to book club the next night. Unfortunately, JD had to work late, and a nap-less Maddie would not have been very pleasant, so I stayed home. Oh well, next month is this book, which I love, so hopefully I can make it. Anyways, I'd say this was along the lines of the Twilight series, but not near as good. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the action-packed, death-defying stories of survival, no matter how unrealistic or juvenile they might be.

4 comments:

Trent & Emily Davies said...

I'm a total book addict and would ignore my family for a good book!! It's horrible I know. I have heard lots of people talk about the Hunger Games book...I might just have to pick it up before we take our trip to California!!

crazygirl said...

i LOVED hunger games!!!!
i couldn't put it down OR catching fire.
i can't wait for the third to come out!
i love an easy read like that tough.

Josh and Megan said...

I know we talk about this all the time...but how are bff's and so polar opposite? you will never see a book review on my blog, but if I ever need a good book, I know who to call! (don't expect that anytime soon!) p.s. post pics of your new place! I want to see it!

Amelia said...

i read hunger games and loved it. Also read catching fire...the sequel. Apparently there is another book to finish the series coming out in August...just kept me on my toes. Unbelievable, weird world.