If you care...
So most of you know that I'm a nurse, and also a proponent of natural childbirth. You'd think the two would go hand in hand, if you're talking about evidence-based practice, but you wouldn't believe the opposition I faced at work and from my OB's for even mentioning it!
Working in the ICU, I saw first hand some of the many financial problems that our nation's health care system faces. I could go on and on with my opinions and solutions that probably could never work, but basically it's just downright frustrating sometimes.
Anyways, I just wanted to post a link to an awesome article my dad showed me in the LA Times about certified nurse midwives and how they could help relieve so much of the financial burden in our health care system. Not to mention helping reduce the number of unnecessary interventions and improving the quality of the experience for mom and baby! Educating women about this could be part of the great "Change" Obama so passionately promotes. I'll support you in this Barack!
K, I'm done.
5 comments:
Hey,
That was your mom that found that awesome article not your dad. And I of course support your opinion whole heartedly.
Mom
i had a CNM for all four of my deliveries..
they were AMAZING..
and when compared to the price of what regular births cost i was flabbergasted... just craziness...
if you are a low risk,healthy woman..
this is the way to go.. thanks for sharing your article....-J
what's your e-mail? I've got questions for you - since you have an interesting perspecting being a nurse. I looked into midwives and birthing centers last year, but then gave up the idea because my children both had to go to the NICU right after birth. E-mail me at mattandmandy03@gmail.com when you have time. Thanks!
Hey Adrienne: My mom (who has been a nurse for over 30 years) and I had a similar discussion! We also brought up the fact that C-sections are too easily given/optioned to many women because of the "convenience" factor. Yet, not many women understand the true risks of C-sections. I think if there were legislation to promote the use of midwives AND make the C-section options more stringent, this would also help alleviate costs and risks.
Thanks for bringing this up!
Elysse
I admire you for your natural birth! After this last delivery, and 8 pokes with the LARGE epidural needle to get the darn thing in, I wondered if the epidural was really worth it!
Post a Comment