The Birth Story:
As you can tell by the date of my last post, I've been avoiding cyberspace and the world for the past few weeks. I can't decide whether to say I had a fast labor or the slowest labor ever. You decide. A week before my due date, I said I was finally ready to bring this baby into the world. Maddie was a week early, so I made sure to have every last detail ready well before the due date. Well, April 25th came and went. Every day after that started to become more physically and emotionally agonizing as this waiting game began. I like to be in control, so naturally we were trying everything to get him here. I walked miles and miles, took herbs, ate spicy food, got membranes stripped, jumped, stretched, meditated, relaxed, visualized, and did pretty much everything I could find on the internet to try to induce labor, including acupuncture. I had contractions every night for 2 weeks, but they would always fade, and I'd wake up in the morning still pregnant. I was exhausted, and nothing worked. My midwife told me two weeks before my due date that I was dilated to a four and could go any time.
So, at a week late, I was feeling desperate, but I still really didn't want to have my water broken because going to the hospital not in labor runs the risks of having to get pitocin, which can lead to all kinds of things I didn't want. So I decided to wait and if I didn't have him by 10 days late, I'd let her break my water. She checked me, said I was dilated to a 5, stripped my membranes for the fourth time, and sent me home. I finally decided to forget about trying and trust that he'd come when he was ready. Maddie and I went shopping, made a couple baby blankets, and tried to stay busy. I felt like I was in labor all day, but brushed it off thinking it would fade.
That night I started to have more regular contractions, and by midnight or so they were 4 minutes apart and lasting a minute or longer. I warned JD this might actually be happening. I don't think he believed it, after weeks of false labor. So when I finally had two really strong contractions, started getting shaky, and bossing him around to call people and get the stuff in the car, he believed me.
A friend from the ward came over at one to be with Maddie and we checked in through the ER at 1:10. (I will always deliver at a hospital minutes away because apparently I like to wait til the last minute to go in.) I said hi to my co-workers and they wished me luck as they wheeled me upstairs. By the time I got my gown on, my amazing midwife LeAnn was there. She checked me and said I was a 9. She broke my water and minutes later I found myself pushing. It was all too familiar a feeling, but this time I only had to push through about 5 contractions and he was here! I must've pushed hard because I broke tons of blood vessels in my neck and face. Luckily that's gone away already. But what an amazing feeling it was to deliver another healthy, perfect baby. I was proud of my body and its ability to do such an incredible thing. I was even more proud when I heard that the kid was almost 10 pounds! What a little tank! I just thought, geez, the little chunk really didn't need an extra week to cook in there, but JD got his wish for a giant.
It was a strange feeling to have another little body lying on my chest and knowing that he was mine just like Maddie is mine. I am falling in love all over again. And this kid is so easy to love. He's so sweet and so mellow, and such a great nurser and sleeper so far. I'm hoping he keeps this temperment because I know what it's like to have a screamer. Maddie is doing great as a big sister. It's true that your other kids instantly seem so big. At the hospital she just wanted to hold him, and the first time she got to, she started singing "Baby Mine" to him. I couldn't hold back tears.
Today being mother's day, I feel so incredibly blessed to have the chance to be a mother. I honestly love it more than anything. It's a huge responsibility and so much work, but getting to love something so completely and watch them grow brings joy beyond measure.
Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing moms out there, especially to my mom who continues to love and take care of us even though we're big. And also to Juli, my mother in law who is up here helping take care of us and making sure that we are well fed :).
16 comments:
congrats adrienne. he's so cute, and I loved reading your story- you're such a wonder woman! I love you.
Congratulations! He is such a cute boy! But I wouldn't expect anything less when he has two beautiful parents!
what a fabulous story. He's adorable and you are a superb mama!
Congrats! Sure wish we could be there to bring you cookies! :)
Hugs
oh my gosh he is so cute...looks SO MUCH LIKE YOU! That story made me tense up a little bit...I'm still to familiar with the whole "birthing process" ha it'll take me some time to muster enough strength/courage to do it again. haha
Way to go girl! What a cute little family of four! :-)
That is an amazing birth story and you are a wonderful mommy. Congrats to your beautiful family! Luke is precious.
Yea!!! Congratulations!! Megan and I are a little jealous that a baby about fell out of you before you felt the need to go to the hospital but I'm glad everything went well. I swear their personalities resemble their delivery so my guess is Luke will be a mellow kid since he was late. It feels like you just had Maddie. Crazy!! He is so cute! And I love his dark hair!! So much fun to have one of both. And sorry for the phone call while you were at the hospital...Shya called you.
I am so sad I can't meet him anytime soon and I am even more sad that you won't birth my babies for me ;) Is that too much to ask? Geeze!! You are one tough chica...always have been and always will be. Love your family of four! MOVE TO UTAH!!!
p.s. accupuncture, as in shots? or accupressure, as in pressure points?
he is absolutely precious!!! you two did good work ... again! :) you look so good after having a baby!!
that was Laura (grigoruk) warner jsut then... not my mom :)
Congrats guys! He is precious!
Congratulations! How fun and exciting for you! I'm sorry he came late, but I'm so happy you were able to hang in there and let things go naturally, so awesome! I love your two little ones together, too cute!
Congrats!! So happy for you guys!
I still can't get over how you went into the hospital at like 1:30 and he was there before 2:10...that is CRAZY. but seriously how i want it to happen for me. i tell daron all the time that when i am pregnant he better chain me to the wall so i don't go to the hospital before that baby is ready...i will not be happy if i do!
anyway, congratulations! im so happy for you both :)
Wowzer Adrienne!! That is one BIG baby! I am mightily impressed .. you are just one comfortable incubator :) Well he is one good lookin' baby boy and I am sure JD is very proud by his size - ha! I loved reading your birth story & feelings cuz it hit so close to home with me since I just went through the same thing. Congratulations!!
I want that to be my next birth story, except the week overdue part. I love him so much and am just dying to meet him. Love you all!
He is HANDSOME!!! Congrats you guys! And A - you are amazing... seriously. And him being so big... way to go!
Post a Comment