Thursday, March 10, 2011

Entitlements and the American Dream

Today I am feeling worked up. I try to only let this happen a couple times a week, but today while walking on the treadmill at the gym, being forced to watch CNN, (the only channel besides ESPN they play there), I found myself feeling more and more, well, worked up. That, along with my ever-growing body that only allows me to walk at a 4.5 max without cramping up, started to really weigh me down.
So, as I thought about the uncertain state of the world, the unrest in the Middle East, the same unrest being brought to our country by the union bosses and socialist organizations, the astronomical national debt, the great divide politically, the biased media, the moral decay of society, (I could go on and on), I began to feel extremely powerless.
For example, the national debt is over 14 trillion dollars and threatens to end all that America ever was. If you read about the founders, you find that they valued thrift and knew that being in debt to other countries potentially made you slaves to them. The "American Dream," according to them as found in the Declaration of Independence was essentially "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." The idea that we would be given freedom to work hard and reap the rewards of that work. Not to mention create the jobs that provide the money to fund everything else. So when I read about Van Jones' version and use of the "American Dream" to rally the people against those who are only trying to save the country and states from bankrupcy, I was floored. They claim the American Dream is "about fairness and equal opportunity." To them it's all about "Social Justice, Environmemtal Justice, Economic Justice."
Really? When did the founders ever say that everyone had the right to a job, even if they sucked at it, or that we shouldn't use the resources we have (oil) because we don't want to give the earth a booboo? Or that we should continue to print and spend money like it's water and dig ourselves deeper and deeper into a hole. Yikes. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure most people don't believe the American Dream leads to Socialism.
Any resemblence?
So, walking along on the treadmill this morning, I decided to start thinking about the things I do have power over...

-I can work hard, be fiscally responsible, save, live within my means, and finish paying off our debts.
-I can educate myself and stand up for what I believe to be true. I can have confidence and voice my opinions.
-I can teach my children correct principles, accurate history, morality, and how to have lasting happiness.
-I can choose to be happy and have faith instead of fear, and hope that the freedoms I enjoy will still be intact for my kids.
-I can pray for the leaders of our country and world and follow the counsel of a prophet who speaks for a loving Father in Heaven.
-I can see the good in others, no matter what they believe, treat everyone with respect, and agree to disagree.
-I can be charitable, serve others and pay my tithing.
-I can vote.
-I can make my home a refuge from the storm.
So even though my body felt weak and my sciatica was killing me, I limped out of the gym feeling like a powerful mama :)!

11 comments:

Lance said...

Well said my friend, my thoughts exactly. I've had these same conversation and thoughts many times.

Rodela Family said...

Oh yeah, that above comment was from me, sorry, I was signed in to Lance's gmail account.

Anonymous said...

I love you. Very well said. I appreciate this post.

xx

Anonymous said...

You're walking on the treadmill at 4.5 speed with an 8 month pregnancy belly?! You're a maniac!!! That's the speed I walk with a non-pregnant belly, but rather bloated one. Wow so impressed. Miss you mucho.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Amen sista.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I love when you speak your mind and I totally agree!

D & DB said...

This was great Adrienne. My favorite part was when you talked about giving the earth a "booboo" haha that cracked me up. Soo true! I am glad I was not the only person feeling anxiety this morning!

Dan and Wendy said...

their is no such thing as union bosses. unions are groups of people that band together to fight against unfair working conditions and low wages. unions have raised the standard of living for everyone in America. they are not bad.they are good. sorry about poor grammer but im low on time.otherwise excellent blogging.

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Dear Dan and Wendy.

what will the unions do after they have slain all the geese that lay the golden eggs? Perhaps someday if you are brave enough, prepared enough, and fortunate enough, you will have the responsibility and privilege of signing someone else's paycheck. I hope that day comes and you learn first hand where the golden eggs really come from. The mind of the entrepreneur is the only thing that is truly indispensable.

love,

Adrienne's Brother

Dan and Wendy said...

Well, you got me there, Bill Shakespeare.