Sunday, March 20, 2011

BiNkY fAiRy

Yesterday Maddison got a very special visit from the Binky Fairy.
She'd been waiting for her all week, but due to nonstop rain for a week (yuck), she arrived a little late. Fairies can't fly in the rain. Haven't you seen Tinkerbell?
She left a bucket with a letter that told Maddie if she gathered up all her binkies and gave them to the fairy, she'd give them to all the little babies that needed them. In return, she'd get a special big girl gift.
I wasn't sure if she really understood this meant giving up her most precious (nasty) binkies for good, but she seemed pretty excited about it, so we went with it.
Who knew how long this sweet smile would last, especially come bed time.
But the excitement only grew while waiting for the thank you gift.
It could barely be contained.
Until finally the doorbell rang and this little beauty appeared. (Notice the pixie dust?)
So a whole 6 feet of bubble tape was consumed...
And lip gloss was applied generously...

And after a few hours of crying late into the night and trying to be brave, our big girl finally fell asleep without her binky for the first time, like, ever.

I was so proud of her but felt her pain too. I mean, that binky made my life a heck of alot easier. And my baby has to go through hard things to grow up. So mommy didn't go without shedding a few tears last night too. Which doesn't say anything because I'm crying over just about everything these days. But as I type this, I hear the little stinker playing in her room when I put her down an hour and a half ago. Ugh. Let's hope I don't cave. It was now or never, right?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

that is the cutest idea ever! I have a feeling that day will have to come. Sage already LOVES her binkie. UGh. Oh well. Its a nice "plug" for the time being. ha and I loved your post below about our country. So true too. I could just see you steaming at the ears! ha

Erin said...

how adorable! I just took it away from brady at 17 months cold turkey saying they disappeared! this is much more creative and adorable! Hurray for it being fast, tomorrow she will be fine. And your life will become easy when they can just self soothe other ways!!!!

Alex and Jane said...

That girl loves her lip gloss. I cherish the thought of her applying and reapplying on Christmas day!

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

I remember getting rid of the "bibi" in a less creative way... And crying too. Maddie is so beautiful. I miss her and want to see her soon.

Cindy and Rob said...

This is such a good idea! I'm going to tell all the moms at work about it who have no idea how to get their little angels to stop using one!
Way to go Andrie! You are a great mommy:-)
And your little one is so beautiful!

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

Dear Dan and Wendy.

what will the unions do after they have slain all the geese that lay the golden eggs? Perhaps someday if you are brave enough, prepared enough, and fortunate enough, you will have the responsibility and privilege of signing someone else's paycheck. I hope that day comes and you learn first hand where the golden eggs really come from. The mind of the entrepreneur is the only thing that is truly indispensable.

love,

Adrienne's Brother

The Drawes said...

that is so awesome!!!! haha... i really can't stop laughing! I guess i should be grateful that Dallon is happy without a biniky! Love the idea though! She is SO BIG!!!

Trent & Emily Davies said...

What a great idea! Getting rid of the binky is on my list of to do things before baby #3 gets here this summer!! I might be stealing this idea!!

Anonymous said...

You are so darling Adrie. Little Maddie and Baby boy ? are so lucky to have you as their Mama.
We got rid of Briggsies binkie too, just recently. He tells me every night that the baby needs his binkie's and he doesn't need them because he's a big boy. Apparently what I told him stuck. Although I can tell he longs for them and he needs to retell the story to reassure himself that they're never coming back. Oh, the pains of being a child.

Jessie Eyre said...

She's so stinkin' cute! And the idea is brilliant. I've heard it works for a ton of kids....my kids, however, are boys, so fairies don't mean much to them. :)

Josh and Megan said...

I love all these pics...wish our princesses could hang out more!

Megan Marie said...

best idea ever!! and so cute! i should start making a book of good ideas for when i am a mom on day! it'd prob make life easier! i'm so excited for you guys and your baby boy to come! congrats