Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Autumn

I absolutely love this time of year. October always brings with it a certain crispness in the air, and a smell that I think I only started recognizing when living in Utah. Fall there is so beautiful and vibrant. I came to love the changing leaves and chilly weather. I think I'm really going to miss that. But the other day while walking out to my car I caught a whiff of Fall, and realized I'll still get a milder California version. Plus I don't have to dread scraping my windshield and feeling claustrophobic all winter. Visiting the snow will be much better for me than living in it.
I was so excited to put Maddie in this outfit from Janie and Jack. I thought it looked fitting for the season. When I'm rich and famous, I'm buying one of everything they sell. Now every time I go to the mall I just wander into the store and stare longingly at all the intricate little details. Then I browse the sale rack, occasionally buy one thing, and walk out convincing myself that silk and cashmere don't stand a chance against blueberries and green beans.
I'm afraid I have a really bad case of the "new mom syndrome." I'm starting to realize that I really don't talk about anything but my baby. When I shop, I gravitate towards itty bitty shoes and sweatsuits instead of much needed clothes for me. It's probably a natural thing every mom goes through, being that your focus turns entirely to this new little person, but I'm sure it gets annoying. She is the most exciting thing going on in my life right now, as I marvel at how she changes every day. Plus, I've gotten used to being looked passed as she's become the center of the universe. But I'll try to talk about some other aspects of my identity for a sec.
I've been in a crafty mood lately. All I want to do is make cute Halloween stuff to give to other people: Spooky Cookies in a Jar, Frankenstein Rice Krispy Treats, Dresses with "Boo" fabric. Why? So weird. Anyways, I don't really have time to do all the things floating around my brain. Work takes up 24+ hours a week, but it has really been such a perfect job. I love working in the ER, I love having a skill that I can help others and help save money, I love that it's 5 minutes away, and I love being able to leave Maddie with the best sitters in the world! (Her Grammies).
Every day I feel so happy and blessed to be in the situation we are in. I know we are right where we need to be. (Although I'm not sure my parents realized this is what they'd get when they wanted so desperately to be closer to kids and grandkids :). We now live very close, right down the hall as a matter of fact. We are grateful that they've let baby stuff take over their house. But I know they love waking up to see this face every morning. Who wouldn't? Happy Fall.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I haven't even delivered our little girl, and she is all I can think about! I can only imagine it'll get worse once she shows her cute little face. I looove Janie and Jack--they have the cutest, sweetest clothes--not the sweetest prices though. Maddie is so adorable in her outfit by the way! :)

Eric, Sammy, & Kami said...

I L.O.V.E Janie and Jack. and I L.O.V.E my Maddie girl. But fall I could do without:).
Miss you guys

Trent & Emily Davies said...

I love the outfit!! Janie and Jack is to die for and I wish I was rich too so I could afford every outfit in there!

The new mom syndrome doesn't go away either. I have two now and I still find myself constantly talking about kids and looking at all the cute little kid clothes!

Matt and Mandy said...

It's true, we all become 'that mom' when we have kids. They DO become our lives, and it doesn't go away, it only gets worse the more kids you have (the more you have, the cuter you think they are, and the more there is to talk about) :) However, the desire to shop at Janie and Jack (sort-of) fades, especially when you have bins and bins of clothes that were hardly worn that you spend too much money on to justify getting rid of, but really don't want to hang on to! :) She is darling, and LOVE the outfit!

Sharon & George said...

Maddie is so cute. Wish I could have my grandbabies that close!

Anonymous said...

That outfit is adorable! I found the cutest baby girl clothes on line the other day. It makes me want to have a little lady to dress-up someday. I feel the same way you do. I looked at my blog the other day and It's Briggs' blog. Every post is about him. But, He's our life!!!
love you! Briggsie says ah,ouhi! Maddie will probably know what that means....pass it on.

Erin said...

i loooove janie and jack! that is where i get so much of brady's clothes off the sales rack, thank goodness my mother in law does all her baby shopping there, cause they have the best clothes ever! i love that outfit on her! sounds like your life is pretty perfect right now!

Taylor Family said...

I LOVE that store! I am lucky we don't have one here. We miss you!

Brandon and Erin said...

So cute! It was fun to see you today:) We need to do that more often!

Anonymous said...

SHe's getting so big and just as adorable as ever! WE're glad you guys are having fun with your family, but we still miss you!