Thursday, April 29, 2010

To Work...

...Or not to work.

That is the question that has been on my mind lately. If you can't tell, Maddie and I have been doing alot of playing. With absolutely nothing on my schedule, I have more than enough time to hang out at the park with my little toddler. She's the coolest kid, and I could probably be content hanging out with just her all the time. But lately, for some reason, I've started going through made up patient scenarios in my head. Like yesterday, while running on the treadmill I was thinking, ok, so a man comes into the ER with chest pain. What is the first thing I do? 12-Lead, check. O2, Assess, check. IV, check. Labs, check. Aspirin, nitro, morphine, check. Next I started my checklist for what I'd do in a full arrest. Sadly, after only a few weeks off I was having trouble remembering critical details...how much epi; amiodorone or atropine next? Etc. Weird, I know. But I wondered, am I supposed to go back to work? Is there a situation in the future where someone will need me to be their nurse? It would be so easy for me to focus only on being a mom and forget all the valuable knowledge I've gained over the last 4+ years.

I think what I really want is to work just enough so it feels like fun instead of work, and not enough to where my baby will even know I'm gone. Guess I'll start looking for that perfect job.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Once a week or once a pay period is the best. Work turns into a pure social event plus keeps your mind sharp! It looks like you guys are doing great!

Josh and Megan said...

A year ago, I would have said to not work. But now that I've worked part time, I realize that the benefits out weigh the negatives. Do it why you can...it's just going to get more difficult with the more kids you have.

Sarah Tayebi said...

You are so gifted at what you do (as mother, nurse- and pretty much everything else)and I think you're right that there are people who need your skills. You've always been a wonder woman to me, so I am sure you can balance it all beautifully.

Unknown said...

I think you need to remember that no matter whether you decide to work or not the knowledge that you learned in undergraduate will be useful throughout your life (even if you aren't in the hospital using it) Enjoy the free time while you have it!